Jeff Marshall is a board certified specialist in Family Law

Enforcing Support Agreements Attorney in Raleigh

Contact Us Today

Enforcing Support Agreements Attorney in Raleigh

Once spouses have agreed upon the amount of child support a parent will provide the primary care parent with each month, it is a legally binding agreement. If a parent refuses to make the full payment amount each month, the other parent may take legal action. Raleigh enforcing support agreements lawyers know that sometimes legal action is necessary to ensure that parents are paying the full amount agreed upon.

At Marshall & Taylor PLLC, our Raleigh lawyers have had years of experience helping clients take legal action in order to enforce child support agreements. If you are the primary caretaker, you likely need the monetary support from your former spouse to care for your child. If you are not receiving the full monthly payments you agreed upon, you may find that legal counsel from an experienced child support lawyer in Raleigh is invaluable.

You do have options and at Marshall & Taylor PLLC we can advise you on every legal step that is an option. Call us today at (919) 833-1040 so we can help you get on the path to reclaiming child support that is rightfully yours.

Table Of Contents

    Why do you need a lawyer?

    Few things are as stressful as worrying about how you’ll be able to care for your children. Not receiving the child support that you’re owed can feel like a no-win, stressful situation to any parent.

    A Raleigh family attorney will have the experience, knowledge, and resources necessary to help ensure that you get the child support that the court ordered. If your ex-spouse has failed to meet their financial commitments, there are ways of making sure that you get what you and your child (or children) are entitled to.

    Our experienced team of attorneys at Marshall & Taylor PLLC is dedicated to fighting aggressively for families in Raleigh, and we’re ready to stand up for you. Will be ready to sit down with you and learn about you, your family, and your situation. We’ll be ready to explain your rights and legal options, and we’ll aggressively seek the full amount of support that your former spouse owes according to the law.

    What Child Support Pays For

    Enforcing Support Agreements Attorney in RaleighChild support payments allow primary caretakers to provide the best possible environment for their children in Raleigh. Some of the costs that child support contributes to include:

    • Educational costs
    • Transportation to school/activities
    • Medical needs
    • Daily sustenance and care
    • Mortgage on a house or rent for an apartment/shelter
    • A certain standard of living

    Child support allows children in Raleigh to be financially supported by both parents in a fair manner. If you are not receiving the child support you and your spouse agreed upon, you can take legal action.

    Frequently Asked Child Support Questions

    Divorce is hard enough, but when you have a child involved it only increases the stress and difficulties of working everything out neatly. Then, when the noncustodial parent does not make child support payments on-time it adds to the tension around the situation. We know there are often many questions in child support and enforcing support agreements. Here are some of the commonly asked questions we hear from clients. If you have any other questions, please call us at (919) 833-1040 to confidentially discuss your case and ask us your case-specific questions.

    How Much Child Support Will I Receive?

    This amount is determined when you file for child support. It depends on a variety of factors, including but not limited to:

    • Income
    • Number of children
    • Medical expenses
    • Childcare and educational expenses
    • Deviations, special circumstances, and extraordinary expenses
    • Custody arrangements

    Regardless of the amount, once child support is set, that amount must be paid to the custodial parent on time. Failure to do so can lead to legal action by the custodial parent.

    What Happens When Child Support Isn’t Paid?

    In the state of North Carolina, not paying child support can lead to many penalties. Those could possibly include criminal charges, negative credit report marks, fines, tax refund penalties, and in some severe instances even jail time. In some cases, the other parent will be liable to pay for your attorney fees.

    How do I File an Action to Place the Other Parent in Contempt of Court?

    This requires completing and filing paperwork with your local courthouse through the North Carolina Judicial Branch. While anyone is allowed to do this, it is strongly advised you have an attorney assist with this process. They will ensure all the legal paperwork is completed correctly. Errors on the paperwork can hold up the process meaning you will have to wait even longer to obtain your child support. Plus, they will assertively fight to ensure the other parent is held responsible for their child support debts.

    What Documentation is Needed?

    As with any legal case, documentation is typically needed as proof of the child support and nonpayment claim. While it varies from case to case, below are some pieces of documentation often requested in these types of legal battles:

    • Court order for child support
    • Proof of nonpayment for child support
    • Evidence of child support history
    • Proof of income for both parents

    These are just some of the many potential pieces of documentation needed or requested in these cases.. An attorney will be able to best advise you on what you need to fight the case, and how to obtain that information. They will not let paperwork bog them down and have the knowledge to move through that process quickly.

    Consult an Enforcing Support Lawyer in Raleigh

    Child support is a legally binding agreement by which parents must abide. In the event that your spouse is not following the legal agreement, the lawyers at Marshall & Taylor PLLC, may help you take legal action to enforce child support payments. Call (919) 833-1040 today to speak with an experienced enforcing support lawyer in Raleigh.