Preparing for a Pre-Adoption Home Study
Bringing a new child into your family is one of the greatest joys in life. Adoption is a unique opportunity to provide a supportive, loving environment for a child in need. In order to determine if a certain household is an appropriate setting to place a child, adoption agencies generally perform pre-adoption home studies. During these home studies, adoption workers look for specific details in their assessment of every aspect of individuals’ lives and homes.
These home studies can cause a lot of stress for individuals worried about being approved for the next step of the adoption process, but it is also the time to demonstrate how wonderful their home will be for an adopted child. A professional adoption attorney can assist you through the adoption process and help you understand what to expect along the way. At Marshall & Taylor PLLC our attorneys are excited to work with individuals seeking adoptions and guide them through this life-changing process.
Tips for Pre-Adoption Home Studies
While a legal professional can be invaluable in helping you through the paperwork details of the adoption process, there are several things which all individuals can do on their own to prepare for a pre-adoption home study. Preparation is the key to a successful home study, and all individuals wishing to adopt should set aside some time to consider and execute these tips:
- Schedule a physical with your doctor and be prepared to discuss any health issues.
- Discuss the financial, emotional, and social ramifications of an adoption with your family and significant other.
- Discuss your family background with your significant other and be prepared to answer questions about family dynamics.
- If applicable, speak with your religious leader about adoption and prepare to discuss any religious plans you have in mind for the child.
- Research the surrounding school districts and prepare an education plan for the child.
- Discuss vacation time or adoptive leave time with your current employers.
The home study is an important step in the adoption process, and it is wise to be as prepared as possible.
Contact an Adoption Lawyer in Raleigh
Whether you are already preparing for a pre-adoption home study, or you are just beginning the adoption process, an adoption lawyer can be invaluable in helping you secure and finalize your adoption. Call Marshall & Taylor PLLC at to speak with a lawyer in Raleigh experienced in adoption law.